[linux-audio-user] ALSA/kernel 2.6.0-test3

Clemens Ladisch clemens at ladisch.de
Wed Aug 13 05:01:00 EDT 2003

Atte André Jensen wrote:
> I just installed kernel 2.6.0-test3 on my laptop. I looked around in
> /proc and saw all kinds of promissing things showing up there.
> /var/log/messages even showed my Evolution USB keyboard. Very nice. But
> since I'm fairly new to the kernel2.6.0/build-in-ALSA I'm hoping for
> some pointers just to get started.
>
> 1) I didn't do any configuration of ALSA. Is that needed? If so how do I
> do it now that ALSA is compiled in?

The only difference between 2.2/2.4 and 2.6 is that you don't need to
compile/install the alsa-driver package.

You still need some entries in modules.conf and to install the
alsa-lib and alsa-utils packages. These things are exactly the same as
in 2.2/2.4, so you probably already have them. If not, have a look at
the ALSA website.

Your modules.conf entries would look somewhat like this:

	options snd cards_limit=2

	alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0
	options snd-intel8x0 index=0

	alias snd-card-1 snd-usb-audio
	options snd-usb-audio index=1

	# maybe third entry if the mainboard has a MIDI/game port

	# OSS emulation entries omitted

It may be possible that your hotplug scripts try to load the OSS
driver (usb-midi) for the keyboard. In this case, add usb-midi to the
/etc/hotplug/blacklist file.

> 2) Where can I expect my devices to show up? For now I have an onboard
> soundcard (i810) and the Evolution keyboard. I would like to route the
> incomming midi to csound, but later also to either Muse or Rosegarden4.
> Is that a matter of having the softsynth or sequencer read from
> /dev/midi00 (or somthing like that)? And do I simply tell the sound
> generating software to direct its output to the appropriate device, say
> /dev/audio?

These device files are used for OSS emulation only. ALSA devices are
accessed through the ALSA library.

Audio devices have names like "hw:0,0" or "plughw:0,0" (the numbers
are card and device numbers). For a list of devices, run "aplay -l" or
"arecord -l".

MIDI sequencer ports have names like "72:0" (client and port number).
For a list of ports, run "aconnect -io".

> 3) I noticed somethiing jack showing up.

This is probably the usb-midi driver. These messages tell you about
the presence of MIDI jacks, and aren't related to the Jack Audio
Connection Kit.

> Is jack supported? If so, to what extend?

Yes. Just like in other kernel versions.

HTH
Clemens