[linux-audio-user] Two sound cards, only sound out of one

Erik de Castro Lopo erikd-lad at mega-nerd.com
Thu Aug 14 10:31:37 EDT 2003

Hi all,

I asked this question on the alsa-user list but haven't received a reply
so I thought I would ask here.

I have two ENS1371 based cards plugged into the one machine:

    root at sound:~# cat /proc/asound/cards
    0 [AudioPCI       ]: ENS1371 - Ensoniq AudioPCI
                         Ensoniq AudioPCI ENS1371 at 0xa400, irq 10
    1 [AudioPCI_1     ]: ENS1371 - Ensoniq AudioPCI
                         Ensoniq AudioPCI ENS1371 at 0x9400, irq 5

I have also set up a /etc/asound.conf file containing aliases for the
cards named "card0" and "card1".

I have also run alsamixergui with "-c 0" and "-c 1" parameters to set up
output volumes on the two cards (and the controls on the two alsamixergui
instances behave independantly).

However, when I playback a sound file using:

    aplay -D card0 a.wav
    aplay -D card1 a.wav

Only card0 produces sound. I have also tried physically swapping the cards
but only card0 produces sound. I have also tried the -v option to aplay to
confirm that the output is going to device 0 and device 1.

I'm out of ideas about this. Does anybody have any hints on how I might
get this going?

Thanks,
Erik