[linux-audio-user] Upgrading ALSA on Mandrake 9.1

Austin aacton at yorku.ca
Mon Aug 18 13:41:01 EDT 2003

On 08/14/2003 11:15:16 AM, Daniel James wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I've got an odd one here - I'm trying to upgrade ALSA on a Mandrake
> 9.1 box. I did this before on another (upgraded to 0.9.2) and it
> worked fine, but on this one upgrading the RPMs seems to have no
> effect.
>
> I installed these RPMs with urpmi:
>
> libalsa2-0.9.5-1mdk.i586.rpm
> libalsa-data-0.9.5-1mdk.i586.rpm
> kernel-multimedia-source-2.4.21-0.16mdk.i586.rpm

Where did you get these RPMs?
I assume you're running Mandrake 9.1?
If those are cooker RPMs, they need to be rebuilt on your 9.1 system
first.

The alsa driver itself is in the RPM "kernel" or "kernel-multimedia".
To upgrade, I'd suggest this:
Go to http://mandrake.redbox.cz/Mandrake-devel/cooker/SRPMS/
Download the kernel, kernel-utils, and libalsa2 SRPMs.  Rebuild them
with "rpm --rebuild".  The RPMs will end up in /usr/src/RPM/RPMS/i586.
Install kernel-utils first, then the other two.

You can also find the latest multimedia kernel in
http://mandrake.redbox.cz/Mandrake-devel/contrib/SRPMS
but I don't think it has alsa 0.9.6 yet.  (can't remember)

Mandrake 9.2 beta3 should be out very soon, and it includes ALSA
0.9.6.  If you have time to test it, it would be a very big help to us.
If you have more problems with your RPM upgrade, let me know.

Austin