[linux-audio-user] Two sound cards, only sound out of one

Erik de Castro Lopo erikd-lad at mega-nerd.com
Mon Aug 18 17:32:14 EDT 2003

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 23:45:23 +0900
Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey at boosthardware.com> wrote:

> It might be your modules.conf settings.
>
> Because the devices are the same you may need to specify a sound card
> limit in the alsa section.

Well after I run update-modules, this is what I have in /etc/modutils.conf

    # --- BEGIN: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---
    # --- ALSACONF verion 0.9.0 ---
    alias char-major-116 snd
    alias snd-card-0 snd-ens1371
    alias char-major-14 soundcore

    alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
    # alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
    # alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
    # alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
    # alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
    # alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss

    alias snd-card-1 snd-ens1371
    alias sound-slot-1 snd-card-1
    # alias sound-service-1-0 snd-mixer-oss
    # alias sound-service-1-1 snd-seq-oss
    # alias sound-service-1-3 snd-pcm-oss
    # alias sound-service-1-8 snd-seq-oss
    # alias sound-service-1-12 snd-pcm-oss

    options snd major=116 cards_limit=2 device_gid=29 device_mode=0660
    options snd-ens1371 index=0
    options snd-ens1371 index=1
    # --- END: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---

Does that seem right to you? I've commented out the *-oss devices because I
don't need them.

It seems to be partly working.

    # cat /proc/asound/devices
      0: [0- 0]: ctl
      8: [0- 0]: raw midi
     17: [0- 1]: digital audio playback
     16: [0- 0]: digital audio playback
     24: [0- 0]: digital audio capture
      1:       : sequencer
     33:       : timer
     32: [1- 0]: ctl
     40: [1- 0]: raw midi
     49: [1- 1]: digital audio playback
     48: [1- 0]: digital audio playback
     56: [1- 0]: digital audio capture

But no audio out of the second card.

Erik
  Erik de Castro Lopo  nospam at mega-nerd.com (Yes it's valid)
The National Multiple Sclerosis Society of America recently started an
advertising campaign with the slogan "MS: It's not a software company".

Seasoned IT professionals will have no trouble telling the two MS's
apart. One is a debilitating and surprisingly widespread affliction
that renders the sufferer barely able to perform the simplest task.
The other is a disease.