[linux-audio-user] New To List

eviltwin69 at cableone.net eviltwin69 at cableone.net
Wed Aug 20 09:36:01 EDT 2003

Chris,

    In addition to Ardour and Rosegarden you need to check out JAMin.  It's not really finished until it's mastered.  http://sourceforge.net/projects/jamin.

Jan

-----Original Message-----
From:	"linux-audio-user-admin at music.columbia.edu" <linux-audio-user-admin at music.columbia.edu> on behalf of	"Chris Share" <cpsmusic at labyrinth.net.au>
Sent:	Wed, 20 Aug 2003 13:20:05 +1000
To:	"linux-audio-user at music.columbia.edu" <linux-audio-user at music.columbia.edu>
Subject:	[linux-audio-user] New To List

Hi,

After reading an article about Linux and music in Sound On Sound recently,
I thought I'd take the plunge and begin moving my music studio to Linux.
Currently I'm using an Athlon XP-based PC and a PowerMac 7600/200. The PC
contains a Hoontech DSP24 Value card and an MPU-401 style MIDI interface
that I put together myself. The Mac contains a Yamaha SW1000 card and an
Opcode MIDI interface. My main music software is Cubase, although I've used
tons of other music software over the years.

The main programs I'm interested using are Rosegarden and Ardour, although
I'm also interested in looking at some of the softsynth stuff too.

I work as a technical writer and have written some music software for Mac
and PC (CS1 Background Edit) so I'm fairly computer literate. However, I
have no experience with Linux.

Initially, I installed Debian on my PC, however it didn't get along with my
TFT monitor. I've since bought Red Hat 9.0. Which I'm just about to
install. Hopefully it will be a bit easier to use!

Before I begin the installation I was wondering if someone could fill me in
on the current state of ALSA. I've had a quick look at some of the How-Tos
however I'm not clear on how up-to-date they are.

I'm currently looking at getting a new soundcard--the Hoontech was really
only a temporary measure to get sound out of the PC. Unfortunately, it
seems that the SW1000 won't ever be supported so it's not much use.

I'd like a card with balanced 24-bit analog I/O and SPDIF I/O. The MiaMIDI
card seems to have these features. Does anyone have experience with this
card on a Linux system?

I also thought that a Delta66 would be suitable too.

Cheers,

Chris Share