[linux-audio-user] how to invest sensible to get more stability for JACK

Rick Taylor ricktaylor at speakeasy.net
Wed Aug 20 14:38:01 EDT 2003

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 10:41:38 -0700
"Mark Knecht" <mknecht at controlnet.com> wrote:

> 1) Gnome/KDE are compicated environments. For test purposes at least try
> something like fluxbox which runs almost nothing by defualt. (I don't know
> windowmaker - it may be pretty minimal already.)

 Windowmaker has its own sound server, extensions like meters and mixers
 for the dock, etc, etc... It's reasonably easy to set up, massively stable,
 extensible, efficient, yadda, yadda...

 I think Gnome and Kde pretty nice but maybe a bit more oriented to office
 applications and home users. If you just want to run an application or a
 small group of applications at a time or if you want to set up your own
 environment you can't beat X.

 MWM, Flux/Open/Blackbox, FVWM ...Afterstep.