[linux-audio-user] New To List

R Parker rtp405 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 20 15:03:01 EDT 2003

Hi,

> 2) I am a user of BOTH MIDI and audio. Rosegarden is
> pretty much MIDI only.
> Their audio solution won't begin to match what you
> are used to on the PC
> side. Ardour is completely audio. It has no MIDI
> solution. The main point is
> that this has not changed much since last September,
> so I don't expect it to
> change very quickly. I could be wrong, but I don't
> expect it. Linux
> developers are generally unpaid and things don't
> move as fast as the $$$
> world.

I think a development worth observing is Jack O'Quin's
jack_transport work. As jack clients incorporate his
work syncronization of clients should become drop dead
easy.

What I find encouraging about linux based audio is the
freedom--not the free of financial costs. In a free
development model users are encouraged to request that
their favorite jack clients incorporate
jack_transport. When developers don't place a priority
on requested features cash donations can be offered.

These cash donations are excellent investments because
they inherit the attached freedom and become available
to everyone. As the user community grows, more
features should be requested and paid for.

I don't think linux audio solutions are all things to
all people, yet! However, I am hopeful that
developments during the next couple years will cause
us to become more productive and creative than the
proprietary communities.

I think jackd and libsndfile are excellent testaments
for the practicality of freedom. It's encouaging to
see developers of distinct solutions work towards
common interests.

My partners and I have four distinct production
systems in our studio; 32 track ADAT, standalone
hdr/daw, mac-digital performer and linux. We've owned
several other tape based solutions. As an engineer
studio owner, the only one I am inspired to invest
time and money into is linux. My partners and I have
been running our studio since 1983/84. During that
time I never had a developer give me any meaningful
time until I stumbled upon the linux audio community.

I think linux audio will become more immediately
gratifying with time. Meanwhile, it requires vision
and persistance.

> I think that Muse is a very capable program, and
> really the only solution
> today IF you depend on BOTH audio and MIDI.

Mark, what about syncing ardour and rosegarden or
other midi apps? That's my intention. I suspect this
will be feasible soon. Have you been following the
jack_transport developments? BTW, it's good to see you
getting into the game with the HDSP card. :)

 It's
> interface isn't too bad,
> although I always feel like I'm in an Excel
> spreadsheet trying to make music
> when I use it, but it's a well designed program for
> what it is.
>
> On my side I've given up completely, for the
> foreseeable future, using Linux
> as the main creative platform. I need Pro Tools or
> Cubase SX/SL to do what I
> want to do. However, I am using Linux as an
> amazingly wonderful audio
> routing and mixing platform between all my sound
> sources and PCs, as well as
> utilizing a lot of really great little processing
> apps (freqtweak, tapiir
> and Jamin) along with Linux soft synths.

I'm pretty good at learning to work with the tools
that are available--whether linux or other. Of course
there are points where that's not enough.

ron