[linux-audio-user] New To List

Rick Taylor ricktaylor at speakeasy.net
Wed Aug 20 18:39:31 EDT 2003

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 13:06:41 -0700
Mark Knecht <markknecht at comcast.net> wrote:

> Rick,
>    Cubase SX under Wine on Linux with the sound actually being handled
> by Alsa? That would be quite an accomplishment! ;-)

 They used to have a section up that referred to earlier versions. I'm
 thinking they worked {tho' it's been a long time since I've visited
 that page.} which follows... that SX has a good chance. Sound Forge does
 {Tho, personally, I like snd better}

 Look how complex new versions of buzz are... it's pretty highly rated
 on the wine pages. It would be nice if we could get that community to
 join this community. It is something of the same idea.}

 What would be wrong with OSS? Have you seen the specs on
 their new drivers?

>    Pro Tools isn't possible as thee is no Linux driver to talk to the
> hardware. From the links below it looks like no one has tried Cubase SX
> yet.

 I've not used Protools because of the hardware thing... I've messed
 around with the free version on '98... I didn't get it to do much
 other than play sounds. I didn't spend any time with it either.

> On Wed, 2003-08-20 at 12:54, Rick Taylor wrote:
> > R Parker <rtp405 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Mark,

> > http://appdb.winehq.com/appbrowse.php?catId=13
> > http://appdb.winehq.com/appview.php?appId=825
> > http://appdb.winehq.com/appview.php?appId=529
> >
> > and
> > http://appdb.winehq.com/appview.php?appId=132
> >
> > This has massive potential:
> > http://frankscorner.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=88&page=1
> >

> The crossover stuff is pretty interesting, but I have another issue
> which is physically it doesn't make sense for me to run everything I use
> on the same PC. I have too many cards and too many Windows apps that are
> version specific. Since I have to have multiple machine, I have no
> issues with one or more of them being Windows.

 I have several machines. I have several systems in removable drive
 casings {$20-50} Switching systems is as easy as restarting. {The
 file drives are swappable as well. I don't trust security on any
 system. {Especially seeing as I know next to nothing about it.
 {And really don't want to waste the time learning}}}

> Once I got my mind into this place the world got easier. I (almost)
> don't care what the $$$ cost is. I just want to use the apps that are
> best for me, and I'll do it in whatever native environment they were
> designed for.

> For instance, I do all email on Linux, but I do almost all my multimedia
> web browsing in Windows. Why? Because Linux provides natural shields
> from all the email virus nonsense that's out there and none of the Linux
> distributions provide a plug and play multimedia experience in either
> the audio or video domains. (Windows ain't prefect either - I don't get
> to play *.ogg files...) ;-)

 {You can}

> Anyway, I don't feel that my 'freedom' is being taken away by using a
> Windows app, whether it's in Windows or under Wine. It has become a
> choice, and I try to use what's best and makes my life easy and
> productive.

 For me the system, especially linux, is a growing thing. Linux needs
 to be worked into... configured and scripted as one goes. It take a
 lot of setup but, hopefully, when you're done you've got a highly
 individual system that matches your needs and requirements specifically.}

 {"Out of the box" just don't get it.}

 You can do the same with win or mac but... that's where you're limited.
 With linux you got virtually no limits... with commercial systems you're
 tied in to that system.

 Look at how much simpler a quick batch file or shell script can make
 your life... multiply that times hundreds and you start getting a working
 system.