[linux-audio-user] Help neede with ardour

Mark Knecht mknecht at controlnet.com
Thu Aug 21 10:49:00 EDT 2003

> Using redhat9+planetCCRMA, I run ardour with normal permissions.
> It's all in the capabilites.
>
> Taybin

Hi Taybin,
   Sure, under RH9/PlanetCCRMA it's the same for me I'm sure. (I haven't
used Ardour on that box of mine as it's too slow for that sort of thing.)
That wasn't my point at all. Under Gentoo I haven't built in capabilities as
I'm waiting for the new HDSP 9652 driver to get into CVS. Then I'll be able
to rebuild Alsa without bothering Thomas.

   However, I'd agree with what I think your point is if I wanted real-time
scheduling, but I didn't. I started Jack running normal scheduling as a
normal user. All my other Jack applications have no problems connecting to
the Jack server. Ardour said it couldn't connect to Jack. It was the only
app that did this so far. Maybe Ardour cannot connect without real-time
scheduling enabled? This didn't used to be the case, but possibly it is
today? I don't know.

   Please understand I'm not asking you or Paul to change or fix anything. I
don't care which way Ardour works. It's completely immaterial to me. My
point was that if this father is going to turn his kid loose on his system
learning Linux and Ardour, apparently on some distributions you have to be
root to even start Ardour and that raises other risks that he might not want
to take. (rm / ?) I know you don't do things like that, but my 11 year old
kid does, so I'd never let him touch Ardour running as root on one of my
systems.

   Longer term maybe more distributions with have the capabilities thing
enabled out of the box, but I've been told there are good reasons not to do
that so I wouldn't guess when it will happen.

Mark