[linux-audio-user] how to invest sensible to get more stability for JACK

Daniel James daniel at mondodesigno.com
Fri Aug 22 05:26:01 EDT 2003

> But if you want to take advantage of Jack then you will be doing
> more than 10 tracks pretty quickly.

That reminds me of a discussion I was having with our guitarist on
Tuesday. He said he needed 24 tracks for his solo project, so he'd
have to hire a bigger studio because our desk is only 8 buss. I said
if four tracks was enough for the Beatles and eight tracks enough for
Pink Floyd, then eight inputs on the Delta 1010 would be enough for
him. I could tell he wasn't impressed by that.

One of the things that really dismays me about some people who want to
record music is that they think you need a lot of equipment to get
started. Like 24 inputs, or a minimum of 6 mics on a drumkit. I've
seen some people spend all their money on a ton of kit, and then fail
to record even one complete song. Having taken delivery of all the
equipment and put it all together, they are faced with a creative
brick wall when they don't know where to start.

A friend of mine bought a big 16 channel Soundcraft desk to mix from
her keyboard and drum machine. Someone had told her that was the one
she needed. I helped her set it up, but I think she just took one
look at the about 200 knobs and faders and her heart was no longer in
the project. We set up Cubase to control the keyboard, and created a
drum and bass track. It didn't sound 'professional' like she expected
it would with all the professional equipment around her, and I don't
think she ever used any of it again.

Cheers

Daniel