[linux-audio-user] how to invest sensible to get more stability for JACK

Joe Hartley jh at brainiac.com
Fri Aug 22 07:55:01 EDT 2003

On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 10:13:17 +0100
Daniel James <daniel at mondodesigno.com> wrote:
> That reminds me of a discussion I was having with our guitarist on
> Tuesday. He said he needed 24 tracks for his solo project, so he'd
> have to hire a bigger studio because our desk is only 8 buss. I said
> if four tracks was enough for the Beatles and eight tracks enough for
> Pink Floyd, then eight inputs on the Delta 1010 would be enough for
> him. I could tell he wasn't impressed by that.

Hmmm, not necessarily the most tactful answer.  Most people don't
understand the recording process.  Rarely do you have enough things
going on at once to need all 24 tracks going at once; the magic happens
in the multitracking, and using ardour (for example) gives you
virtually unlimited tracks.  That's a far cry from the Sgt Pepper
days where you had 4 tracks total to record on, period.  An explanation
of that might have gotten you the job.

> A friend of mine bought a big 16 channel Soundcraft desk to mix from
> her keyboard and drum machine. ...  It didn't sound 'professional' like
> she expected it would with all the professional equipment around her,
> and I don't think she ever used any of it again.

A good musician sounds good even on bad or minimal gear; no amount of
good gear will make a bad musician sound good.

The learning curve on a lot of this stuff is steep.  Your friend would
have been better off with something like a small Behringer mixer and a
Delta 44 card to handle her stuff.  Maybe if you offer to set her up
with a usable system, you can get a deal on her Soundcraft desk!!

       Joe Hartley - UNIX/network Consultant - jh at brainiac.com