[linux-audio-user] how to invest sensible to get more stability for JACK

Robert Jonsson robert.jonsson at dataductus.se
Fri Aug 22 09:49:00 EDT 2003

Friday 22 August 2003 15:03 skrev Daniel James:
> > In a digital world there is a big difference between the number of
> > external inputs/outputs you have and the number of internal tracks
> > you utilize.
>
> Sure, but he doesn't use a computer and was thinking in terms of a 24
> track tape machine with 24 analogue inputs. He perceived that 8
> analogue inputs on a digital system wouldn't be enough for a *solo*
> project, because he believed that professional musicans all use 24
> track equipment - so he had to have 24 inputs too.
>
> My concern is that sometimes the technology doesn't enable creativity,
> it puts up a new barrier - such as overcomplexity.

I can't remember who it was that said that 'any sufficiently advanced
technology is indistinguishable from magic', anyway, it is true.

In the short term it may seem like overcomplexity, in the long term however
it's evolution and will soon be what average joe uses, without thinking about
it.

There is a possibility that it really _IS_ overcomplexity, but then something
else will come along, a new paradigm, that takes over. Evolution saves the
day once again :)

Myself I don't think it is too complex, it may be magic to those who haven't
taken the plunge yet though.

/Robert