[linux-audio-user] how to invest sensible to get more stability for JACK

Hartmut Z Noack symposion at onlinehome.de
Fri Aug 22 16:34:00 EDT 2003

Am Fre, 2003-08-22 um 11.13 schrieb Daniel James:
> > But if you want to take advantage of Jack then you will be doing
> > more than 10 tracks pretty quickly.
>
> That reminds me of a discussion I was having with our guitarist on
> Tuesday. He said he needed 24 tracks for his solo project, so he'd
> have to hire a bigger studio because our desk is only 8 buss. I said
> if four tracks was enough for the Beatles and eight tracks enough for
> Pink Floyd, then eight inputs on the Delta 1010 would be enough for
> him. I could tell he wasn't impressed by that.

I must admit, that there is some truth in that.
At the other hand: the Opportunity of using virtually as much tracks as
you want allows to work faster and to concentrate on the music itself.
I recorded an Album with my former Band on a Fostex 12-Track Tapemachine
and wanted just one Song to be stuffed with dubbed Gits, VoiceFX and
some Extrapercussion. We stopped the Project because to bounce all the
tracks to allow us to do more Overdubs took so much Time that we would
have need twice the Budget we had for the entire Album to do just one
Song.
(In the End we just "polished" a Demo of that Track that i recorded at
home using a simple Mixer and ping-ponging with 2 HIFI-VHS-Recorders...)
To have lots of tracks does not make the impossible happen, it just
helps to smoothen the Workflow.

> One of the things that really dismays me about some people who want to
> record music is that they think you need a lot of equipment to get
> started. Like 24 inputs, or a minimum of 6 mics on a drumkit. I've
> seen some people spend all their money on a ton of kit, and then fail
> to record even one complete song. Having taken delivery of all the
> equipment and put it all together, they are faced with a creative
> brick wall when they don't know where to start.

That is one of the reasons, why i will not touch Steinbergs Nuendo
again. 10 minutes Recording music : 2 houres turning fancy knobs and
trying to get "the best setting".
ARDOUR appeares quite more basic and once you set up the Mixerstrips OK,
you only stop playing to light a cigarrette ;-)