[linux-audio-user] how to invest sensible to get more stability for JACK

RTaylor ricktaylor at speakeasy.net
Fri Aug 22 21:53:00 EDT 2003

On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 15:34:23 +0200
Robert Jonsson <robert.jonsson at dataductus.se> wrote:
> Friday 22 August 2003 15:03 skrev Daniel James:

> > > In a digital world there is a big difference between the number of
> > > external inputs/outputs you have and the number of internal tracks
> > > you utilize.
> >
> > Sure, but he doesn't use a computer and was thinking in terms of a 24
> > track tape machine with 24 analogue inputs. He perceived that 8
> > analogue inputs on a digital system wouldn't be enough for a *solo*
> > project, because he believed that professional musicans all use 24
> > track equipment - so he had to have 24 inputs too.
> >
> > My concern is that sometimes the technology doesn't enable creativity,
> > it puts up a new barrier - such as overcomplexity.
>
> I can't remember who it was that said that 'any sufficiently advanced
> technology is indistinguishable from magic', anyway, it is true.
>
> In the short term it may seem like overcomplexity, in the long term however
> it's evolution and will soon be what average joe uses, without thinking about
> it.
>
> There is a possibility that it really _IS_ overcomplexity, but then something
> else will come along, a new paradigm, that takes over. Evolution saves the
> day once again :)
>
> Myself I don't think it is too complex, it may be magic to those who haven't
> taken the plunge yet though.

 It seems to me that the process should leave some mark... should be evidenced
 somehow. A bit of minimalism {tho' 30 tracks hardly seems minimal to me} might
 reference the source and in so doing help define "a" linux {digital} sound.
 Methods by which folk deal with the issue serve to develop that a bit further,
 push the medium, yadda, yadda... {Moog has a unique sound that many folk find
 to be appealing simply because it's a Moog sound, Some of the appeal to early
 punk is the lofi sound, Most old jazz/blues studios have a particular flavor
 to their recordings, etc...}

 I like computer music though... I'm not interested in processing a pre-existant
 sound or trying to give a customer anything specific. I can afford to let the
 sound get "coloured" by the process. {In fact... that's desirable.}