[linux-audio-user] Wine and Buzz (was: New To List)

Lee Azzarello lee at fallingforward.net
Mon Aug 25 00:27:04 EDT 2003

Okay. There were some do or die situations, but nothing more complicated
than using the right installers.

I began by compiling the most recent (at the time) stable tarball
(Wine-20030709.tar.gz) from the Wine website. Then I followed the
instructions on said website to configure Wine without a Windows
partition. Then I installed the bare bones version of Buzz, at the time it
was called buzz_base_install.exe but it appears they have renamed it the
"buzz stealth pack". Whatever. The point is I couldn't install the
"massive" pack, it would just hand until I killed the process.

For reference my Linux audio system is ALSA only (no OSS). The three
things that didn't work:

1) Don't configure Wine as root and don't run Wine without configuring it
first.

2) The version of Wine I pulled out of Gentoo Linux's ebuild tree did not
work with Buzz.

3) Don't open the audio preferences dialog box in Buzz. If it doesn't work
by default, it doesn't work. Opening this preference will only crash the
program since it's looking for a bunch of Windows shit.

Other than that the program works fine with all the bare bones machines. I
haven't tried fancy stuff like soundfonts and VST plugins but the tracker
and soft synths are great.

-l[e^2]
http://www.fallingforward.net/
people experimenting with music, art and technology