[linux-audio-user] Invert And Mix

Alex Timmer mijn_troep at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 25 08:26:04 EDT 2003

 --- Steve Harris <S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk> wrote: > On Sun, Aug
24, 2003 at 11:03:43 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
> >    Presumably if one file had a few seconds of silence at the
> start of
> > end I could just delete that by hand in vi? I don't know how far
> off in
> > lines diff can handle looking for a first match, but a few
> seconds could
> > end up being 100K lines...
>
> I think diff would handle it fine, it doesn't have much choice, but
> you would get bored paging through all those zeros.
>
> I guess an easy fix would be to crunch up all the 0.0's so that
> instead of
> 0.0	0.0
> 0.0	0.0
> 40000 times
>
> you got
> 0.0	0.0	40000
>
> (run length encoding) so diff would just sho the difference in the
> numer, rather than listing all the lines. It would be a trivial
> awk script I think, an exercise for the reader :)
>
> - Steve

hi,
you could pipe the diff output to 'uniq -c' command here?... with the
-c parameter it counts the input (see manpage). example:

[12] HOME> cat > uneek1
0
0
0
0
0
0
0
0
0
0
1
2
3
[13] HOME> cat > uneek2
1
2
3
[14] HOME> diff uneek1 uneek2
1,10d0
< 0
< 0
< 0
< 0
< 0
< 0
< 0
< 0
< 0
< 0
[15] HOME> diff uneek1 uneek2 |uniq -c
   1 1,10d0
  10 < 0

a perfect match (with only a starting silence in one of the files)
should result in only one line of counted zero's in the uniq's
results. i think.  =)

gr, ALEX