[linux-audio-user] Noise removal, what filter is best?

luis jure ljure at multitel.com.uy
Tue Aug 26 09:32:12 EDT 2003

el Tue, 26 Aug 2003 04:49:01 -0500
RTaylor <ricktaylor at speakeasy.net> escribió:

> This looks impressive
> http://www.csounds.com/developers/html/dnoise_8c-source.html

i didn't want to mention the csound denoise utility before because a) it
might be of interest to csound users only, b) never tried it myself.

> This is impressive
> http://www.fmah.com/NewSite/HTML/Open/FMAH%20Open%20Denoising.html
>
> But I think it's only windows. It would be cool if maybe you could talk
> him into porting it though. :}

thanks for the link, really impressive... it's windows and mac only, seems
to be free. i downloaded the windows version and made it run under wine just
as it came. it doesn't play sounds (perhaps tweaking wine a bit? i just
installed wine not long ago and never spent much time trying to figure out
if there's room to improve it's performance in any way). otherwise d/noise
works well, i just tried the demo wav included in the package (an old caruso
recording) and the results are impressive indeed. using the default settings
a few artifacts are added and a rumble persists after cleaning, but it's a
very good start. it cleans not only noise but also clicks and pops.

perhaps if many of us bug the author we could convince him to port it to
gnu/linux? or, better still, to make the code available (it's written in ms
visual c++) and translate it into something more gnu/linux-friendly?

best,

lj