[linux-audio-user] Drone generation through MIDI, how would you do it

mawali at news.icns.com mawali at news.icns.com
Tue Aug 26 13:14:11 EDT 2003

Gentlemen
My MIDI bone is pretty limited. Here is what I am trying to do (what would
be the best way)

Soppose I have a midi keyboard attached to an SB-Live with alsa emu10k1
with all the sound fonts loaded. I aconnect the keyboard with alsa, wow I
can play the keyboard.

Now I want to be able to play drone sounds while I am playing my keybaord
(or my wooden flute called bansuri). One way for me would be to keep two
keys pressed (the first and the fifth of the scale Im playing). Or tell
Alsa to generate them for me. So how would someone go about doing this. It
should be pretty easy, all I should need to do is turn those two note on.
And maybe later even have a drum pattern. Any way to script them "Csound
does come to mind though"

How would someone go about doing it. What is the best way to do it
(preferably without using a GUI since I want to learn it too). What is the
best place for someone to look for simple tricks like this.

Regards