[linux-audio-user] Which kernel to use for audio work?

Robert Epprecht epprecht at solnet.ch
Fri Aug 29 09:57:00 EDT 2003

I'm currently setting up an audio system on Debian sarge.
The system will be used for audio work only.

My sound hardware is RME Multiface and the PCI card.
Of course I want ALSA and JACK.

I wonder which kernel version I should try first, 2.4.?? (which one)
or a 2.6.0 test kernel?  I'm fine with kernel source from kernel.org
and don't need a debianised kernel source.

Please let me know which patches are needed (like lowlat, preemt)
for the kernel version in question, as this is not clear to me.

I know this question shows that I'm not very well informed about
the different kernels, but I *do* like learning ;-)

Thanks a lot for your help!
Robert Epprecht