[linux-audio-user] Low Latency in 2.4.22 kernel

Robert Jonsson robert.jonsson at dataductus.se
Fri Aug 29 15:31:01 EDT 2003

Hi,

torsdag 28 augusti 2003 21:22 skrev Luis Pablo Gasparotto:
> Hi,
>
> When I run the Benno Sennoner's Latencytest utility on an unpatched
> 2.4.22 kernel I get the same results that I get with a patched 2.4.21.
>
> Does the 2.4.22 kernel have a low latency improvement built-in?

I'm no expert at what was included in 2.4.22 but I don't believe there where
any significant changes.

About getting good figures with latencytest, this is quite possible on an
unpatched system.
The problem is that it's quite hard to produce a test suite that REALLY
provides a real-life workload, or a worst-possible workload (well, I guess
that would be easier, but it's uncertain your system will live to tell).

The tests in the latencytest are good indicators if you have latency problems,
but they are not fool proof. The problem most oftenly being that too little
load is put on the system to give concrete evidence.

The only way to know for sure is to test it with something that you ARE going
to use.

/Robert