[linux-audio-user] M-Audio Quattro

Chris Butt chris.butt at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Aug 30 16:26:01 EDT 2003

Austin wrote:

> You need at least ALSA 0.9.5.  Mandrake 9.2beta2 only had 0.9.2.
> Currently we have 0.9.6 in the cooker kernel, but it's broken.  If you
> just compile the alsa drivers from source and install them with
> 'checkinstall' everything works fine.

I took that to mean './configure; make; checkinstall' - is that right?

>   My quattro sounds great using cooker and alsa from source.  We're
> trying to get the broken kernel alsa working ASAP.
>
> Let me know how it goes.
>
> Austin

Austin,
Thankyou for your advice.
I tried 0.9.5 and 0.9.6 on mdk 9.1 but, although it (appeared to)
compile correctly, the modules wouldn't load, due to a dependency. I
can't remember exactly which one, except that it had 'print' in it,
which I found surprising. So it doesn't crash when I plug my quattro in,
it does nothing. Oh, and the internal soundcard doesn't work either now.
Do 0.9.5 and 0.9.6 usually compile properly under mandrake?
Having read other comments here and on the cooker list, I get the
feeling that this maybe more problematic than just my unfamiliarity with
compiling things. If so, is there an available combination of
alsa-version + mandrake version + quattro that I can use? Can I cheekily
ask for a copy of the alsa-driver rpm that you had made?
Alternatively, is there anything I can try, or should do to get current
ones working? (I am not a programmer)
Yours, hopefully
Chris Butt