[linux-audio-user] [USB audio capture]: "standard" drivers, "mixers" and level controls

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Sun Aug 31 02:35:01 EDT 2003

Frank Barknecht wrote:

>>5. Finally, I noticed that many of the Maudio USB products, like Audiophile,
>>   Quatro and Duo, need external power.  The funny thing is that they
>>   need 9 VAC.  AC voltage!  What's up with that?  I was expecting
>>   some standard DC voltage, eg., 9 or 12V, suitable for mobile use.
>

> I guess they should come with appropriate adapters for your region.
> But the most mobile solution is USB-powered.

Probably the usbpre is the best bet for this. It does have linux drivers
for a while now (18months) Just haven't seen one or heard of anyone
using it round here.

I view the devices like the quattro that need a power supply as similar
to an fx pedal with one major distinction. They are designed to be used
by people behind the mixing desk not on the stage.

That means they will have a lot of available power and sockets.

--

Patrick Shirkey - Boost Hardware Ltd.
Http://www.boosthardware.com

Being on stage with the band in front of crowds shouting, "Get off! No!
We want normal music!", I think that was more like acting than anything
I've ever done.

Goldie, 8 Nov, 2002
The Scotsman