[linux-audio-user] YMFPCI hardware midi/snd-mp401-uart

BartonBosch at aol.com BartonBosch at aol.com
Sun Aug 31 20:03:00 EDT 2003

I am trying to use the hardware wavetable midi synth on my YMF 740C sound "card" onboard my motherboard with ALSA and MusE.  I have been searching through the various sources of documentation trying to solve the mystery but I am stumped.

# lsmod lists snd-mp401-uart, snd-rawmidi, and snd-opl3-lib among the sound related modules.  Can someone give me a definitive answer as to what these modules are?  I am pretty sure that snd-mp401-uart is the wavetable midi synth, and am guessing that snd-opl3-lib are the patches for the legacy FM synth that is also on the card, but I don't have any idea what the snd-rawmidi module is for.  And why is there no snd-opl3 module itself?  Is the legacy FM synth not supported under ALSA?

I checked /proc/modules, so these three modules are loaded, but I can't figure out how to access them generally or through MusE.

Checking /proc/asound/devices does not list any midi devices, (see below):

 [root at localhost root]# cat /proc/asound/devices
  0: [0- 0]: ctl
 27: [0- 3]: digital audio capture
 18: [0- 2]: digital audio playback
 17: [0- 1]: digital audio playback
 16: [0- 0]: digital audio playback
 24: [0- 0]: digital audio capture
  1:       : sequencer
 33:       : timer

As far as MusE goes, I have gone through the configuration section fairly thoroughly but without finding a way to access mp401-uart.  The closest thing that I found was under the midiport configuration table->other raw devices, which brought up a context dialog box which had a choice of raw midi, pipe, or something else which I can't seem to remember at the moment.  I tried entering /dev/midiC0D0 as the path for the raw midi device but that didn't configure a valid midi output for the device.

I want the option to use my hardware synth, as well as the software synths, with MusE and generally under ALSA/Linux.  Does anyone see something I missed?

Thanks,

Barton