[linux-audio-user] Help with basic midi configuration

Eduardo Guerrero felixe at domovolcanico.com
Mon Dec 1 01:11:03 EST 2003

Hi, I'm on my first attempt at midi on Linux. I'm using MusE 0.6.0pre5
in Mandrake 9.1. I think I can start jack in a root console, but I guess
for a simple test it isn't necessary, so I start muse and I get the GUI.
I managed to record some notes but if I press play on the transport I
don't hear anything. I'm using a sblive platinum and, for setting levels
I'm using Alsa-Mixer GUI and for connections I'm using Alsa Patch Bay. I
have been tweaking everything and haven't got any sound. It surely works
since I can use XMMS and also I can load and hear midi tracks on KMidi.

In my MusE Midi Port Table I have port 1, generic midi, going to the
device EMU10K1 MPU-401 (UART) and the state shows as OK. Trying with
different settings I have seen a message about DEVICE PLAYING or similar
but can't remember what I did.

On MusE the black activity meter is moving and mute cell has a green LED
(?) on, I don't know if its on why I see such activity. But anyway I
don't get any sound with it turned on or off.

Any help would be appreciated,
Eduardo