[linux-audio-user] TiMidity++ and FluidSynth

Mark Constable markc at renta.net
Mon Dec 1 05:47:03 EST 2003

On Mon, 1 Dec 2003 07:13 pm, Joerg Anders wrote:
> - Hardware synthesis
> - TiMidity synthesis
> - FluidSynth synthesis
> You'll find that only the Hardware synthesis sounds
> like a bigband.

Is it possible that Timidity does not sound quite as clean as
the hardware version because you have it's effects on by default ?

To compare Timidity you really need to

 -EFreverb=0 -EFdelay=0 -EFchorus=0

I've been tempted to hack Timidity to have sane defaults and
to accept stdin.. and to not use less for paging the help.

> BTW: This example also illustrates the effect of the
> "attacking" strings in FluidSynth. The strings
> are practically inaudible.

Thanks to your comparison mp3s I would not bother using FluidSynth
for anything. These and your other examples indicate this obnoxious
attack and again, it sounds nearly a semi-tone too high.

BTW how did you record the output from the SBlive to wav ?

--markc