[linux-audio-user] ALSA/OSS Free supported sound card with 16input channels

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Mon Dec 1 10:50:51 EST 2003

jpo234 at netscape.net wrote:
> Patrick,
> thanks for your quick reply. I'm not quite sure whether your answer
> is really the answer on what I wanted to ask, so I'll clarify below.
>
> Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey at boosthardware.com> wrote:
>
>>Your be either one rme hammerfall + digital mixing desk with adat
>>connectors. Otherwise you can use multiple cards but they need to be
>>wordclock synced so you tracks stay in sample sync with each other. In
>>that case you could use two rme hdsp multifaces, 2 midiman delta1010s
>>and there are a couple of other 8 i/o cards with ALSA support.
>

> I think to make sure that this is really what we need I'll have to
> provide a better description of the problem. We are developing a
> testbed for wireless voice transmission. We will have up to 16 active
> phones, that are independently used to receive voice samples. We have
> to record each voice transmission to a .WAV file (because this is what
> the quality measurement tool understands).
> To do this we will have to connect the 16 phones to a Linux box (prefered)
> and need the ability to save the voice sample to a file. Each sample is
> completely independent of all the other samples. Basically we need the
> ability to do "sox /dev/phonespeakerX phoneXsample.wav" where 0 <= X <= 15.
>

>>>Will we have 16 /dev/dsp devices [e.g. /dev/dsp0 .. /dev/dsp16]?
>>>

>>If you use jack you will have an easy to understand interface for
>>routing the i/o's.
>

> Following your suggestion I glanced at jack. I'm not quite sure whether
> this is really what we are looking for.

So you are talking about designing an app which allows multitrack
recording from a digital source but doesn't have any requirement to
connect to a sound cards inputs?

It should be relatively easy to design your own app/script which takes
the raw data and writes it to multiple files.

IIRC ecasound can read raw data and write it to a multitrack file.

http://www.wakkanet.fi/~kaiv/ecasound/

--
Patrick Shirkey - Boost Hardware Ltd.
Http://www.boosthardware.com

  Apparently upon the beginning of the barrage, the donkey broke
discipline and panicked, toppling the cart. At that point, the rockets
disconnected from the timer, leaving them strewn around the street.
Tethered to the now toppled cart, the donkey was unable to escape before
the arrival of U.S. troops.

United Press International
Rockets on donkeys hit major Baghdad sites

By P. MITCHELL PROTHERO
Published 11/21/2003 11:13 AM