[linux-audio-user] ALSA: What is the website missing?

Tim Orford tim at orford.org
Mon Dec 1 15:42:02 EST 2003

On Mon, Dec 01, 2003 at 10:06:50PM +0900, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
> [...]
> All opinions will be considered so don't hold back ;-]

its good you are doing this Patrick - thanks...

some suggestions re the 'soundcard details' pages:

in order to counteract the misconception that alsa is complicated
perhaps the 'information overload' could be reduced somewhat.

Is it only me that considers the 'module options' to be unneeded by most
people? Consider linking to a separate page, or put it lower down the
page in the modules.conf section. They certainly shouldnt be listed
before the Introduction :-)

'quick install': is it true to say that this is irrelevant to
90% of people? As a mandrake and gentoo user, i have no intention
of ever going through the described process. Perhaps more of an
overview of installation would be beneficial, with as much distro
specific info as poss. Consider moving the compiling from tarball
instructions to a separate page.

re this paragraph:
"Native Devices
 After the main multiplexer is loaded, its code requests top level sound
card module. String snd-card-%i is requested for native devices where %i
is sound card number from zero to seven. String sound-slot-%i is
requested for native devices where %i is slot number for ALSA owner this
means sound card number. The options line allows you to set various
config options before the module is loaded. String snd_id lets you set
the name of the card which is returned in the /proc/asound/cards
file..."

-the word 'multiplexer' is not self explanatory in this context. Either
 explain it or drop the word.

-i think for proper english grammer it should be "*the* top level...",
 "is *the* sound card number", "is *the* slot number"

-"for ALSA owner this means sound card number" I have no idea what this
 means:-)

-strings should be quoted, preferably using html tags to make them stand
 out,eg <code>snd-card-%i</code>.

dont know if this is useful. I have more comments if needed:-)

cheers
--
Tim Orford