[linux-audio-user] ALSA: What is the website missing?

Mark Knecht markknecht at comcast.net
Mon Dec 1 22:09:58 EST 2003

On Mon, 2003-12-01 at 18:37, Mark Knecht wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-12-01 at 17:51, Florian Schmidt wrote:
> > Did you try the aoss script from the alsa-oss package? I think i read
> > somewhere that it should use the pcm.dsp0 device..
> >

> > Flo
> >

> Oops. Yes, that was part of the solution, wasn't it?!?!? Yes, I tried it
> and it seg_faulted on 9 out of 10 apps that I tried.
>
> Possibly that's the root of this not working?
>
> Thanks for bring this item back up.
>
> - Mark

OK, my statement about seg_faults was with 0.9.8, so using today's
1.0.0rc1 with xmms it works better than before, I think, but I also
think not correctly:

1) xmms run by itself uses all 26 channels. Correct, but I don't like
it.

2) aoss xmms uses playback_1/2 instead of playback_5/6, but at least it
only uses 2 channels. That's a step in the right direction. I don't
think this worked for me before, but maybe I don't remember well. (A
common occurance...)

Can anyone see anything wrong with the way it's defined? It seems that
the bindings statement is possibly not working correctly?

pcm_slave.hdsp {
          pcm "hw:0"
          channels 26
        }

pcm.playback_5_6 {
          type dshare
          slave hdsp
          ipc_key 314159265    # some unique number
          ipc_key_add_uid yes  # "no" to let multiple users share it
          bindings {
                0 5
                1 6
          }