[linux-audio-user] TiMidity++ and FluidSynth

LinuxMedia linuxmedia4 at netscape.net
Tue Dec 2 18:50:17 EST 2003

(earlier post referring to recording the output of the hardware
synthesis directly to an (audio) file)...

>> acreord -f wav -t S16_LE -r 44100 -d 60 -c 2 <file>.wav
>>With "amixer" I set the "capture" slider to maximum and there
>>is still a slider "music capture". I set this slider to
>>maximum, too. That's all.
>
> Sorry to be boring... you mean without plugging a lead from
> your analog out into your analog in and then simply recording
> as above ?
>
> I've got an old SBlive but sfxload won't work (for me) on a
> 2.6 kernel... so I can't test this right now.
>
> --markc

Absolutly... When someone on this list pointed this out, I was blown
away. I use My SB Live card to play my soundfont thru My keyboard and
"capture" it to a file using ecasound. This has actually opened up a
whole new approach to recording. It isn't the "alternative" to recording
midi (and converting .mid to .wav with Timidity), but it gives Me
another aproach to recording live when working with My sound fonts.
Sometimes I just want to turn on My keyboard and start recording what
comes out of it right to a sound file. It's just opened up some flexibility.

I have the feeling that being able to "capture" things coming thru My
sound card has other "hidden" benifits that I haven't explored.
Unfortunatly, I have too many projects going. But even worse, I'm more
"creative minded" than I am "techicnal minded", so I haven't been able
to really work with the (many) sliders that offer "capture mode" in alsa
mixer.

Rocco