[linux-audio-user] Rewrite sfxload for native ALSA

Mark Constable markc at renta.net
Wed Dec 3 07:09:36 EST 2003

On Wed, 3 Dec 2003 09:01 pm, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> > Is anyone aware of ANY non-OSS tool to load soundfonts into
> > an SBlive card ?
>
> no.  it's a long-long-standing item in my TODO list.

Right, I think I asked the same question about a year ago and
even perhaps a year before that too :)

> > If not, would anyone be interested in looking in to how to
> > rewrite sfxload so it, at least, uses the native ALSA API ?
>
> i'll start writing it once after ALSA 1.0.0 is released and i'm back
> from vacation.

Excellent... it's probably an "easier" job for you than anyone
else I can think of.

> but one thing i should mention.  even if sfxload is rewritten to an
> ALSA native app, the function wouldn't be changed much.  the only
> change is that the new one will use ALSA native hwdep device instead
> of OSS's device.  that's all.  a major merit would be that you don't
> need to build OSS sequencer emulation (and its setup), though.

That's fine and that's the point. Anyone who wants to use their
SBlive as a synth MUST use OSS and in my case it's the only reason
to load the OSS modules. I'd like to help but I don't know where
to start.

--markc