[linux-audio-user] License free Linux ??

Mark Knecht markknecht at comcast.net
Thu Dec 4 16:07:13 EST 2003

On Thu, 2003-12-04 at 12:54, Patrick Shirkey wrote:

> IMO there are going to be a few rip off artists trying to make a quick
> buck off our work over the next few years while the market expands and
> in the process making false statements to lure customers. It doesn't
> make us look professional if we accept it.

Well, since I'm not a developer I don't get to include myself in the we
part, and this Ebay ad looks pretty darn ludicrous. Granted he does very
little to sell the fact that it's open source, but exactly how is it
different from the distributions putting Linux on a CD and selling that
for $15?

I'm not disagreeing with you Patrick. Not at all. I just think this is
to be expected and, given a smarter marketing group and better
packaging, could probably be made completely legal. Maybe that's your
concern?

As I (who has never read the LGPL or GPL license all the through)
understand it, I could package up all the apps on PlanetCCRMA and sell
them for $15 to anyone who wants to buy the CD, can't I?

- Mark