[linux-audio-user] ebay guy: looks like he figured it out

tim hall tech at glastonburymusic.org.uk
Sat Dec 6 04:07:46 EST 2003

Let's face it he's selling to Windows and Mac users for a very low price.
Heh!

On Friday 05 December 2003 16:09, Mark Knecht wrote:
> > So we could be talking about at least US$50,000 profit that this guy
> > has made selling 'free as in beer' software.
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > Daniel
>
> How is this any different than the guys who sell 16 Linux distro's on CD to
> people who want to buy it that way? There are lots of people that still
> like a office full of CDs. It's easy to go back to what was working, or
> make two machines work the same. There are good reasons to buy on CD.
>
> I know one very knowledgeable Linux guy who is a top Redhat contributor
> that subscribes to some service that sends him his distros all updated
> nicely every 90 days on CD. He uses those and doesn't download anything off
> the net. He's forgotten more than I'll ever know about Linux and he spends
> $100/year for the service?
>
> Why? Because it's a free choice about free software, even though the
> outcome isn't free!

I agree, it's about choice. I could almost justify getting one for one of my
poor Windows using friends who doesn't have apt-get. Partly to have a look.
It's unlikely that I will, however, for various other reasons - like not
having an ebay account. :-]

cheers

tim hall