Is the Linux desktop really here ? was: Re: [linux-audio-user] ebay guy: looks like he figured it out

Dave Phillips dlphilp at bright.net
Mon Dec 8 08:39:40 EST 2003

tim hall wrote:

>PS: Watching my nine-year old and various friends use my system, I'd say the
>Linux Desktop for casual users is here, given the availability of technical
>support. IMX it's the configuration that is difficult, not the installation &
>usage.

Hi Tim:

  A few days ago I wrote to the list and recounted a story about setting
up a Windows 2000 system for some
very non-computer-savvy friends of mine. Well, that saga knows no end: I
had to go to their house yesterday
and get it going for them again. It's true that they are *really* in the
dark about their machine, but it's got so
ridiculous that I've decided on a new plan. I'm going to set up a Linux
box for them and see how they do with it.
These people do very little else but use a Web browser (what they call
"the computer") so I want to see just how
hard or easy it would be for them to use a modern Linux system. It'll be
an interesting experiment, and if I have to deal
with the system at least it will be a real OS with real tools and the
real possibility of actually fixing it if it breaks.
Win2K is nice, but what a vacant system ! I can't believe people have
paid so much and received so little in return
for their money.

  Anyway, if this experiment works I'll report back to this group. The
folks using this box aren't music/sound people,
but I do plan on setting up XMMS, RealPlayer, and possibly xine or
Mplayer for on-line video feeds. Let me know if
you have any suggestions for making it as easy as possible for them to use.

Best regards,

Dave Phillips