[linux-audio-user] Re: Is the Linux desktop really here ?

John Bleichert syborg at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 8 09:48:08 EST 2003

On Mon, 8 Dec 2003, Robert Jonsson wrote:
> Subject: [linux-audio-user] Re: Is the Linux desktop really here ?
>
> Monday 08 December 2003 15.26 skrev eviltwin69 at cableone.net:
> > Dave,
> >
> >     The one thing that I would do (I had to do this for my wife because she
> > has to have Excel for her job) is to buy Crossover Office and Crossover
> > plugin so that you can load Micro$oft Orifice and some nice browser
> > plugins.  It's well worth the 70 bucks and then they don't have to worry
> > about format problems.  Of course, you do have to own a copy of Micro$oft
> > Orifice first ;-)  Do you get the feeling that I'm not a big fan of
> > Micro$oft ;-D
>
> It's nice to know I'm not the only one that go out of my way to avoid the
> perils of the evil empire ;)
>
> There is however one thing that I have yet failed to get working.
> I've got a bunch of old games made with Macromedia that my kids like to play.
> It looks darn impossible to get them working though, probably too old,
> 16-bit... not supported by anything...
>
> /Robert

Kids games are the stumbling block. I have some friends who very much want
to try linux (or any other non-MS opsys, they don't care) and the kids
games are always the blocker. One of my friends actually sprung for
Win4Lin - I set it up for him, and the kids play their games in a window.
Works well.

> > Jan

// John Bleichert
// syborg at earthlink.net