[linux-audio-user] Re: Is the Linux desktop really here ?

Rob lau at kudla.org
Mon Dec 8 14:46:32 EST 2003

On Monday 08 December 2003 14:08, Mark Knecht wrote:
> FYI - Since Alsa went 1.0 I have been unable to get sound from
> cxoffice. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.
> 4) I go no response (that I know of) from Codeweavers.

If you're talking about the "deprecated alsa version" thread on
[Discuss], Alexandre Julliard (the first guy to reply to you) is
a Codeweavers employee as far as I know. It sounds like "our
current demo is linked against alsa 0.5, sorry" is where I would
have given up and tried again next version. I haven't actually
tried to run any crossover apps since upgrading to alsa 0.9.6
myself, so I could be screwed too for all I know.

Wine's and cxoffice's interaction with alsa have been a sore
point for like a year now (basically ever since alsa became "a
thing"), but I imagine that's no surprise to you. I guess that's
the downside to mixing closed and open source, but if it's any
consolation, anything you can get working under cxoffice can
*theoretically* be run under a wine you can emerge yourself, if
you spend enough time tweaking.

Rob