[linux-audio-user] Re: Is the Linux desktop really here?

Erik Steffl steffl at bigfoot.com
Mon Dec 8 18:23:36 EST 2003

Anthony DiSante wrote:
> But VNC alone lets you view (and control) the remote desktop.  What does
> xOrfbserver add?  I googled it and found a few pages about it, but I
> don't really understand what it does that VNC doesn't.

   it lets you view your regular X desktop via rfb protocol (=protocol
that vnc uses).

   that way you can run "normal" X server locally (faster that running
VNC) and view it "directly" (on system console) and also view the same
desktop remotely.

   using VNC itself you can only view VNC server (which is close but not
exactly same as your regular X server).

	erik