[linux-audio-user] midifiles - software only

Emiliano Grilli emiliano.grilli at poste.it
Tue Dec 9 05:07:53 EST 2003

martedì, 09 dicembre 2003 alle 10:47:33, Atte André Jensen ha scritto:
> Hi
>
> Let me start by saying that I'm running debian/unstable...
>
> I suddenly needed to play a midi file for the first time in a looong
> time. But it seems that the timidity-patches are not in unstable anymore...
>
> What's the best and or easiest way to play midifiles (software only) in
> high quality under debian?

You can use soundfonts with timidity, and you get higher quality than the
default timidity-patches. You can grab very large GM soundfonts at
http://www.personalcopy.com or find one at http://www.hammersound.net

Then, you have to modify the timidity.cfg file adding a line like:

soundfont /path/to/soundfont.sf2

and comment out anything else.

HTH ciao
--