[linux-audio-user] midifiles - software only

Mark Constable markc at renta.net
Tue Dec 9 06:49:20 EST 2003

On Tue, 9 Dec 2003 07:47 pm, Atte André Jensen wrote:
> Let me start by saying that I'm running debian/unstable...
> I suddenly needed to play a midi file for the first time in a looong
> time. But it seems that the timidity-patches are not in unstable anymore...

packages.debian.org is still down but an apt-cache search on
my debian/unstable machine shows there is a timidity-patches
package.

> What's the best and or easiest way to play midifiles (software only) in
> high quality under debian?

eawpats at...

 http://www.stardate.bc.ca/eawpatches/html/default.htm

and maybe "apt-get install timidity-patches/testing" might work.

Unfortunately the 2.11.2 version pans the drumsets to one side
for some soundfonts, particularly the large 140Mb fluid.sf2, but
the Timidity version in CVS fixes that annoyance if it bothers you.

--markc