[linux-audio-user] USB, what's the story? (was: Firewire, what's the story?)

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Tue Dec 9 13:30:02 EST 2003

Ryan wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-12-08 at 18:29, Jack O'Quin wrote:
>
>>Steve Harris <S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk> writes:
>>

>>>Latency shouldn't be an issue - the 1394 bus is low latency - higher
>>>latency than PCI I expect, but still not measurable in audio terms.
>>
>>Does it have the same problem as USB, using fixed-time rather than
>>fixed-size packets?
>>
>>I seem to recall that it does, but that the packet size is smaller,
>>making the latency problem easier to deal with.
>

> Is this fixed-time vs. fixed-size usb issue addressed in the 2.6 kernel
> (or is it alsa or is it something else)?
>
> Just curious where the "heart" of the issue is and what kind of time
> line we are looking at.

Our best hope is someone wise and knowledgable writing a patch for JACK
at this stage. Unfortunately noone can access the mantis database to add
a feature request so it's probably being put off.

--
Patrick Shirkey - Boost Hardware Ltd.
Http://www.boosthardware.com

  Apparently upon the beginning of the barrage, the donkey broke
discipline and panicked, toppling the cart. At that point, the rockets
disconnected from the timer, leaving them strewn around the street.
Tethered to the now toppled cart, the donkey was unable to escape before
the arrival of U.S. troops.

United Press International
Rockets on donkeys hit major Baghdad sites

By P. MITCHELL PROTHERO
Published 11/21/2003 11:13 AM