[linux-audio-user] Recording from SPDIF with SB live

lau at hippie-online.de lau at hippie-online.de
Tue Dec 9 17:12:01 EST 2003

Hi linux-audio-users,

I am a newbie in this list - so first of all hello to everybody! :-)

Can anybody give me some hints about my following problem?

I would like to record directly from my DAT recorder (48 kHz) via SPDIF.
As a greenhorn in harddisk recording I expect that there should be a way
to get an exact copy of the data on the tape with no input level / mixer
and no DA-AD conversion in between?!

Unfortunately so far I did not succeed in recording from the SPDIF-input
at all. I am just able to route the DAT signal to the analog line out by
setting its volume using alsamixer. But the SPDIF-in does not appear in
other mixers like kmix and the signal is not available in recording
programs like audacity or krecord. :-(

I am using:

- SuSE 8.2 / kernel 2.4.20 / i86
- alsa 0.9.0