[linux-audio-user] The trouble with disks

Anahata anahata at treewind.co.uk
Thu Dec 18 07:15:39 EST 2003

On Thu, Dec 18, 2003 at 01:21:25PM +0200, John Anderson wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-12-18 at 13:09, Robert Jonsson wrote:
>
> I have mine at /mnt/ramfs, with jack thusly configured. I read somewhere
> that ramfs is purely memory based, whereas tmpfs can use disk as backup
> if it needs to expand.

Does ramfs create a preallocated fixed size ramdisk?
If so, this will reduce your available memory and thus may increase the
swap partition usage. Using tmpfs lets the system decide dynamically the
balance of disk usage between tempfs and swap, which may give better
results.

--
Anahata
anahata at treewind.co.uk       Tel: 01638 720444