[linux-audio-user] Reliable archival of recordings

Jack O'Quin joq at io.com
Sat Dec 20 08:44:57 EST 2003

Anthony DiSante <orders at nodivisions.com> writes:

> I have a pair of 120GB drives in my system, and a single 250GB drive
> as backup (Western Digital with 8MB cache and 3-year warranty, just
> bought at thenerds.net for $233US).  The backup drive is in an
> external USB2/Firewire enclosure, and I connect it once a week (twice
> if I'm feeling paranoid that week) to do the backup:
>

> rsync -av --delete --exclude '/mnt/backup/' / /mnt/backup/
>
> So /mnt/backup/ is then an exact copy of /, and the best part is, it's
> bootable and functions just like the original drive(s) if I stick it
> on the motherboard.  And the backup process usually takes just about a
> half an hour, depending on how much new data I've added, of course.

Are you sure it's really bootable?  Maybe you should try it.

I doubt that the MBR, /etc/fstab and /etc/lilo.conf are correct for a
single-disk configuration.  These should be easy to fix as part of the
recovery process, but you're going to need to boot a rescue disk first
and reconfigure for the new hard disk.

This is still a good method.  How do you partition the backup disk?
One big filesystem?
--
  joq