Linux shell tips, was Re: [linux-audio-user] beeps are going to break my ears

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Mon Dec 22 18:55:46 EST 2003

Hallo,
Paul Winkler hat gesagt: // Paul Winkler wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 22, 2003 at 10:18:17PM +0100, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> > And then there is
> > bash's programmable completion, which is way cool for example because
> > it can do:
> >
> > $ ssh <TAB>
> > shell.sourceforge.net
> > shell2.sourceforge.net
>
> I need to set that up in a BIG way :-)

You're on Debian, not? Then you probably already have it installed.
It's in /etc/bash_completion and here's the relevant part of the
readme:

  To enable programmable completion for bash on Debian, uncomment the
  bash_completion lines in /etc/bash.bashrc to source
  /etc/bash_completion.  /etc/bash_completion sources
  ~/.bash_completion, if it exists.

Happy completing,