[linux-audio-user] Suitable distro for audio works

Dave Phillips dlphilp at bright.net
Wed Dec 24 00:06:23 EST 2003

Joe Button wrote:

>I use mandrake for some audio things myself (ardour, audacity etc) and it
>seems fine - can't really compare with other distros though 'cos I've never
>tried setting up another one for audio. I really like the idea of Agnula but
>it seems to be moving at a snail's pace. Debian sid and Redhat/
>Planet CCRMA seem popular with other people.

Hi Joe:

  PlanetCCRMA is definitely has the more current apps versions, but
AGNULA Demudi is really quite nice too. I have both systems installed
here, and I must say that I'm impressed by the AGNULA core system. Yes,
it's not pretty (yet), but it's well designed where it counts, and the
1.1 release promises to bring the system into a more up to date
condition. I'm not sure when AGNULA 1.1 will be ready for release but
I'm sure it's Real Soon Now. ;)

  Next month's column for the Linux Journal On-line will briefly
describe my experiences with PlanetC and AGNULA.

Best,

== dp