[linux-audio-user] Suitable distro for audio works: Debian Stable -> Unstable

Erik de Castro Lopo erikd-lad at mega-nerd.com
Wed Dec 24 17:15:27 EST 2003

On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 21:45:21 +0000
"Mr. Spock" <spock at canopus22.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> Could you clarify for me: I've got Debian Woody 3.0 Stable (+security
> patches) installed, but I need Unstable for the newer apps and libraries.
> However, the old Stable version of gcc (2.95.4) is not happy with the new
> (3.2?) one,

My machine is Debian Testing, but I have gcc-2.95 and gcc-3.3 running quite
happily side by side.

> and my attempt to apt-get things brought up unmet dependencies.
> So is there a way around this, short of reinstalling the whole base system?
> I'm sure Debian is cleverer than that!

Yes it is. Here's how its done:

    - Edit /etc/apt/sources.list so that it points to unstable (or testing)
      instead of stable.
    - apt-get update
    - apt-get upgrade

This will upgrade a large number of things but leave an even large number
still to be done.

    - apt-get install libc6 perl

This upgrades the two really critical components that must be correct before
the next step.

   - apt-get distupgrade

That does the rest.

The above procedure has worked for me on at least 10 different machines.

Erik