[linux-audio-user] beeps are going to break my ears

Anthony DiSante orders at nodivisions.com
Sat Dec 27 04:42:01 EST 2003

Juhana Sadeharju wrote:
>>From: george bush <freakjazz at yahoo.com>
>>
>>how are you experts getting along with beep ?
>

> Not at all. Computer geeks should be forced to go to computer
> ergonomics course. One should also invent a silent mouse where
> no button clicks are heard. Specially in audio processing such
> clicks are not wanted.
>
> If "xset b off" don't work (as it didn't here), try "xset b 0 0"
> (check manual page for the details as I don't remember how many
> zeros one have to put there).

I'm late to this thread, so my apologies if this was already mentioned, but:

echo -e "\\33[10;45]\\33[11;0]"

...will mute the beep in the bash shell.  (from
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Visual-Bell-4.html)  I just put that line into a
shell script called /bin/beepoff and run it when I want it.  The HOWTO has
much more info.

-Anthony
http://nodivisions.com/