[linux-audio-user] Need help recording with Terratec DXM 6FIRE

Carlos Santos cmmps at esoterica.pt
Sat Dec 27 08:05:39 EST 2003

Hi!
I'm newer by this list.
I've been using ALSA driver 1.0.0rc2 for my Terratec DMX 6FIRE sound
card, based on the envy24 chipset. The driver loaded is icy1712.
Now my problem resides on recording audio to any wave editor /
multitrack software, like mhWaveEdit, Audacity, and so on...

On Audacity I'm able to record but I need to record several tracks at
the same time to get only 2 tracks (the tracks that correspond to the
input I'm using).

For any other wave editor I'm not able to record anything!
I know that this chipset is based on multi-track processing but if under
windows it is possible to select a record input, it also should be
possible under Linux!!!
I've tried everything under envy24control... and even with the Digital
Mix selected (where all inputs are mapped to) I'm still unable to record
anything.

Does this have anything to do with "bindings" parameters I found on ALSA
documentation?? However I'm not understanding it well...

Currently inputs:
ADC 1 & 2 (0 1) - Mic In
ADC 3 & 4 (2 3)- Line In / Wavetable
ADC 5 & 6 (4 5) - Mic In / Phono
ADC 7 & 8 (6 7) - ???
ADC 9 & 10 (8 9) - SPDIF/In

(For instance, to record my guitar, connected to Mic Input, on Audacity
I must record 6 tracks in order to be able to get something recorded...
on tracks 5 and 6)

Some doubts remain:
What is connected to ADC 7 & 8? I don't know any other inputs on my
card... is that for a mix input? (all channels mixed up on digital mix)?
The IPGA controls are used for what?
Why there isn't a record selector on the ALSA mixer or on envy24control
for recording wave files from specific inputs?

Now... finally... is it possible to remap, using te bindings section,
the inputs?
For instance, is it possible to map ADC 5 & 6 for inputs 1 & 2?
Binding:
 0 4
 1 5
????