[linux-audio-user] Recording from SPDIF with Audiophile

lau at hippie-online.de lau at hippie-online.de
Wed Dec 31 05:00:02 EST 2003

tim hall wrote:

> Why are you using such an old version of alsa?
> Perhaps this is the way SuSE does it (?:-)

Right, this is part of SuSE 8.2.

>>But how can I record the data?
>
> What do you mean by 'data'? If you just want the data, surely there is some
> kind of way of 'mounting' the tape drive directly - As if it was a Tape
> ARchive and then using standard tools to copy it where you want it - 'dd' ?

Mounting the DAT recorder?! Sounds interesting... ;-)

> You probably haven't read enough, and my experience is that it's easy to
> overcomplicate matters. There may be a simpler solution. Oh yeah, and you
> need to ask clearer questions.

What I want to have is a 1:1 copy of the audio data of a DAT deck. For
this I use its SPDIF-out and plug it to the SPDIF-in of the Audiophile.
Using envy24control I can route the signal to the cards internal mixer
or to its outputs. But how can I record it to an audio file?

Recording with Audacity results in a mute file. In its preferences I
found the sole option /dev/dsp as recording device.

I am determined to read more about it if you can tell me *what* to
read...

Ciao,
 HippiE