[linux-audio-user] MIDI - hapless Newbie Q -

tim@glastonburymusic tim at glastonburymusic.org.uk
Sun Feb 2 22:21:00 EST 2003

Please forgive me if this is somewhat OT. The tone of this group makes me
wonder if I signed up for LAD by mistake.
I'm having trouble with what should be a trivial soundcard config.
Tech Spec: Debian-3.0/Linux-2.2.20 running on a P133 with 48mB RAM
Soundcard: Bluepoint/OPTi82C930 with MAD16 Driver
Problem: communicating with external MIDI device (Roland D10)
[No ALSA] using OSS
basic internal functionality for samples & MIDI is OK
Basically every time I try to load the mpu401 driver I get told "Device or
Resource busy". I've tried using modprobe, modconf and sndconfig, same thing
every time. CDrom audio is also disabled, and I have errors on loading unix
socket drivers (which I don't entirely understand). I've tried every
available I/O & irq combination that doesn't cause conflicts. It is entirely
possible that I'm just using the wrong syntax of course:~)
lsmod lists pcmcia_core, unix, lockd, sunrpc, af_packet, mad16, ad1848,
uart401, sound, soundlow, soundcore & joystick modules. I'm not sure if
there's anything obviously missing or conflicting.
Any pointers would be gratefully appreciated.
I guess you'll understand when I say that a functioning soundcard is as
important as video. Music will hopefully be one of the prime uses of my
setup & I'm very interested in stuff like Python OSS, tse3 & stk4 & others
which run happily on my box already. Csound looks interesting too, but I may
need to improve my hardware
before I can properly use it.
Right now, I will just be happy if I can simply demo my new song.
thanks in advance
tim hall
forgive me if I spam :~]