[linux-audio-user] problems sending sound files directly to /dev/dsp

Gustavo Zamorano S. gzsuniq at cableonda.net
Fri Feb 7 13:32:18 EST 2003

I have a  PC with a P4 Intel chip at 1.8GB.  My mainboard has a VIA8233
chip.  It is running on Red Hat 8.0.
The ALSA drivers ( snd-via82xx) seem to be working fine with play or
aplay.
My modules.conf lines added by alsaconf are:

# --- BEGIN: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---
# --- ALSACONF verion 0.9.0 ---
alias char-major-116 snd
alias snd-card-0 snd-via82xx
alias char-major-14 soundcore
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
options snd major=116 cards_limit=1 device_mode=0666
options snd-via82xx index=0
# --- END: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---

I have two  problems:
1) If artsd is running, play or aplay will not be able to play a sound
file until I kill artsd.  I had to configure KDE not to run artsd.  That
means that if artsd is running, there is no sound.  How can I have artsd
running without disabling sound output?

2) As I  discovered the function of artsd is to allow some programs to
write directly to /dev/dsp.  The problem I have is that when some
program writes directly to /dev/dsp (while artsd is not running)  I only
hear a cracking noise.  How I can have programs to write directly to
/dev/dsp?.

Thanks

--
This Message is sent from My R. Hat 8.0 Linux server

      .-.
    .-. |                    Gustavo Zamorano S.
  .-. | |                    Unique Computer Operations, S. A.(UNICOPSA)
  |       \=/ /|| `---'      P.O. Box 872150, Zona 7
   \      ___//  \           Panama, Republica de Panama
    \____/   (`__')          mailto:gzsuniq at cableonda.net